Thursday, March 4, 2010

Athletes == WHOOHOO DEVIANCE.

http://www.livescience.com/culture/081208-sports-bad-behavior.html

"Bad Sports Behavior Starts in Youth"

The media has vivaciously reported on any and all cases of athletes acting "inappropriately", whether in the games they play, or in the lives they live. It doesn't even seem to matter if the athletes are "major league", in college, or in the little leagues; aggression/deviant acts in athletes seems to spread across all ages. Actions of these sort have become so strangely common that sociologists have created a study called "deviance in sports" (you have to be pretty noteworthy to get your own field of research!).

Some athletes resort to methods that are... gritty to win, even though they may be against the rules or even illegal. Sometimes deviant acts are even committed because society seems to accept or push them.

As according to cliches, football players were found to be a good amount more aggressive than their non-footballing peers. Wrestlers were even moreso, while tennis players... were a lot less likely, actually. (Picturing a 'roided-out tennis player smashing heads is hilarious, especially if they're wearing the traditional headband-and-little-shorts.)

MY PICK IS...
THE STRAIN THEORY. WHICH IS KIND OF THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES SENSE HERE.
People have a strong desire to follow or achieve what society declares goals or norms. However, some people are more willing or likely to take... different methods to achieve these goals. This is partly where these... angrathletes (see what I did there? Do you like it?) come in. Society pushes success and winning, and not everyone has equal footing to get there, so some angrathletes are more willing to take different-than-normal (aka DEVIANT!) methods to get there. Steroids, punching babies, kicking the elderly, et cetera.
The people that punch fruit/lick tents/inject highly illegal substances are defined as "innovators". The word has no bias, but the person reading this summary (I see you, Mrs. Wollersheim! And everyone else!) and the people viewing these innovators do. Their deviance from the "norms" may be meant for a good thing (steroid users == steroid users to support team and keep crowd happy, along with prize money for 'roiders like bodybuilders), but it's not always interpreted as such.

Sort of like those two guys in some... southern state. I can't remember which... those are all pretty much one state, anyway. Anyway, they were wrasslers, and they got kicked off the team for getting paid to be on a pornographic site. A "gay" pornographic site (but the two laddies weren't involved in "gay" activity). Which is kind of hilarious in some really strange way. It apparently did not involve gnomes, hats, the color purple, nor pterodactyls, so it's not very awesome in my opinion... wait... err- right. Right. Yeah. They probably only did it to make money (and to... "show off their equipment" WINK WIN-- ohgodican'tdothiskillmenow.) Some people wonder if they were removed from the smattering of team because it was a "gay-for-pay" site; would it have been the same if it was some "straight porn" site? I don't think it would have been the sa-- why am I talking about this! THIS ISN'T RELATE - I need new shoes.

ANYWAY. MY GOODNESS. Please pretend that last paragraph didn't happen. Or do. Whichever way suits you. *adjusts monocle and combs curly moustache* I know this man-ling (not a boy, not a man... some weird combination of the two) that was on the wrasslin' team and he is just... nuts. Aggressive. I'm always afraid to tell him to leave me alone or to go away or to STOP ANGSTING TO ME ABOUT THINGS I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IF YOU DON'T LET ME ANGST IN RE-- uh. Yeah. I'm always terrified that he'll punch my lights out. My face-lights... eyes. Yes. My eyes. I need those to see (although some amazing things can be done with the tongue!).
I'm sure this boy-o is aggressive due to genetics, but also due to nurture. Again, we fall into that debate. Society grabs the loudspeaker and shouts at us to out more coal into the pit and to be successful (sort of opposites, no?). Sometimes, you have to resort to being aggressive or scary in order to bully people into giving you opportunities that you don't really have. Society seems to simultaneously smile and frown (srown?) upon deviations as such.

I'm rambling. I'm going to cut the artery before this thing gets off the table and pillages some villages. Besides, *checks pocket watch* I have to get going anyway. A bunch of fish are in my fridge, waiting to be devoured by an angry pterodactyl filled with purple gnomes.

P.S. I APOLOGIZE FOR HOW NUTS THIS MUST HAVE BEEN. My cold or whatever this is is making me *more* wonky and making me express it more. Which is scary. Run while you can!
Also, I tagged this as "scooters" because it was a suggestion courtesy of Blogger.

No comments:

Post a Comment